If you are satisfied with the way lighting, shadows, water, and how the sky looks in Vanilla Minecraft you have either not seen what a shader pack can do or you are a Minecraft purist. Shade packs have a very important role and while some of them may have a detrimental effect in terms of game performance, they complement Minecraft and elevate textures and the visuals from compatible resource packs. Nostalgia Shaders is one of the many shader packs you can get for Minecraft. It is considered one of the best shader packs for Minecraft and there are a few reasons that would explain this common belief amongst the Minecraft community. Before we jump into what the shader pack does and how it improves Minecraft, we need to have a look at who made it and why. The mind behind Nostalgia Shaders is community user RRe36. He has a total of 8 projects under his belt, all of them being shader packs. The Nostalgia Shaders pack is his second most popular project with over a million downloads across several websites where it has been published. The purpose of creating the Nostalgia Shaders pack is to replicate some of the old shader packs that were used in the early days of Minecraft. Released in mid-2019, Nostalgia Shaders takes inspiration from other packs such as Seus v08, Chocapic v3, and many others. While the shader packs that inspired Nostalgia shader no longer have support and have not received updates over the past few years, Nostalgia Shaders remain relevant. It receives frequent updates and bug fixes from RRe36, just like his other projects. Lighting, shadows, water, and the sky in Vanilla Minecraft are anything but impressive when compared to modern games. Nostalgia changes them for the better. It introduces multiple effects and improvements. The first thing that you will notice when firing up Nostalgia shader pack is the sky. With custom skybox and lighting colors, the clouds are still blocky but have much smoother textures and rounded edges. They appear almost like hand-drawn clouds from cartoons. There is also a second layer of clouds that is not present in Vanilla Minecraft. This change adds another level of depth to the sky.
The sun and moon were not changed. They have the same shape and size. However, they do look different due to how they emit light with the Nostalgia Shaders pack installed. Water has also been improved. The water now looks more realistic with proper reflections. It is now much closer to how the water looks in modern games. Shadows also received a considerable upgrade. They are now much smoother and more detailed, making it easy to recognize an object by looking at the shadow it projects. At the same time, shadow projects now work correctly in relationship with different sources of light. These features of how shadows work are called dynamic shadows and they make a huge difference. Lastly, lighting and volumetric fog features were added to Nostalgia Shaders. These two features alone give the impression that the textures in the game are much crisper even when looking at the Vanilla ones. There are also new wind effects on foliage. If you look at leaves, grass, and trees, you will be able to observe how this new wind effect works. The Nostalgia Shaders pack needs to be installed with Optifine. Because it changes sky textures and changes the shaders, it needs to access the special features offered by Optifine and similar tools. The installation of the shader pack is no different than any other installation of a shader or resource pack. Keep in mind that Nostalgia shaders do not yet offer support for systems running with an Intel Iris video card. The shader pack was made to work with either nVidia or AMD GPUs. In terms of game performance, there is a tax to pay when using Nostalgia Shaders. All shader packs impact game performance to a certain degree, depending on how well they are optimized. For what is worth, Nostalgia is optimized correctly. While it will lead to a framerate drop, especially for players with modest systems, it is less taxing than most other shaders. Because of this game performance drop, it is difficult to recommend Nostalgia Shaders to PvP players. For PvP, you are better off with no shader pack if you want to have high framerates with no random FPS drops.
Nostalgia Shaders should be compatible with all of these Minecraft versions: 1.20.4 - 1.20.3 - 1.20.2 - 1.20.1 - 1.20 - 1.19.4 - 1.19.3 - 1.19.2 - 1.19.1 - 1.19 - 1.18.2 - 1.18.1 - 1.18 - 1.17.1 - 1.17 - 1.16.5 - 1.16.4 - 1.16.3 - 1.16.2 - 1.16.1 - 1.16 - 1.15.2 - 1.15.1 - 1.15 - 1.14.4 - 1.14.3 - 1.14.2 - 1.14
Nostalgia Shaders — Screenshots
How to install Nostalgia Shader:
- Download and install Minecraft.
- Open Minecraft launcher and setup your game profile for the Minecraft version you want to run. – in the top menu, select the “Installations” tab, click “New installation”, under the “Version” dropdown, select your preferred Minecraft version and click “Create”.
- Download and install Optifine.
- Open Minecraft launcher and select the newly created Optifine profile.
- Download the Nostalgia shader pack from the download section below.
- Launch Minecraft.
- Go to
Options > Video Settings > Shadersand click “Shaders Folder” to open shaderpacks folder.
- Put the Nostalgia shader pack (.zip file) downloaded in step 5 into the .minecraft\shaderpacks folder you opened in step 7.
- In the game, select Nostalgia Shaders from the list and click “Done”.
Nostalgia Shaders - Comparison Slider #1 day
Comparison slider #1 for those who want to compare vanilla Minecraft without any shaders installed (on the left) with Minecraft using this particular shader pack (on the right).
Nostalgia Shaders - Comparison Slider #2 midnight
Comparison slider #2 for those who want to compare vanilla Minecraft without any shaders installed (on the left) with Minecraft using this particular shader pack (on the right).
Nostalgia Shaders Shader Pack Download
- We never modify or edit resource packs in any way. None of the resource packs, shader mods or tools you see on this website are hosted on our servers. We use only official download links provided by official authors. Therefore, they are completely safe and secure.
- Since the links are official and we update them manually - the links may stop working with each new update. We make every effort to update links as quickly as possible and usually we update everything on time and users have no problems, but if suddenly any link stops working - let us know through the comments below.
- Don't forget to leave a comment below and vote for the pack. By doing this, you help the author(s) keep improving the project. If you want to support the author(s), be sure to check the author links just below the download links.
Curseforge: download starts automatically after a few seconds;
Mediafire: click the big blue button with the text "DOWNLOAD";
Google Drive: in the top right corner you will see a small download icon (down arrow), click it and the download should start;